Tax time for families and changes to child immunisation

Parents who receive family assistance payments or have a child support assessment are reminded to lodge their tax returns early to ensure the information we have is correct.

We use  income information from parents’ tax returns to balance Family Tax Benefit (FTB) payments at the end of the financial year.

Once the information comes through from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) the balancing process happens automatically. Families will be sent a letter with the outcome – they don’t need to call us  to check on progress. If parents don’t have to lodge a tax return they also need to let us know, and the easiest way to do this is by using our online services.

If families’  income estimate was higher than their actual income for the year, they may receive a top-up payment and  be eligible for a supplement of up to $726.35 per child for FTB Part A and $354.05 per family for FTB Part B payments.

We also use income details from tax returns to help calculate new child support assessments.

If income details aren’t correct, separated parents may need to make additional payments or pay back child support they’ve already received.

Parents preparing their tax returns can also  access their annual Medicare benefit tax statement through the Department’s website or via the ATO’s e-tax application .

The  statement may help you when claiming the net medical expenses tax offset through your tax return if you’ve had high medical expenses throughout the financial year.


It’s also worth noting the changes to childhood immunisation requirements, with Maternity Immunisation no longer available.

Families who receive FTB Part A now need to make sure their child is fully immunised, or have an approved exemption, in the financial year the child turns one, two and five in order to receive their annual FTB Part A supplement for that child.

Immunisation is the safest and most effective way of giving protection against a vaccine-preventable disease.

For more information about family assistance payments go to; or go to for information about child support assessments.

More information on how to access Medicare tax statements is available at

Until next time,
Hank Jongen
Human Services Portfolio General Manager

Print pagePDF pageEmail page
Thanks for rating this! Now tell the world how you feel through social media. .
How does this post make you feel?
  • Excited
  • Happy
  • Amused
  • Bored
  • Sad
  • Angry