Chifley Federal MP Ed Husic has welcomed today’s announcement that the Australian Government will provide $5 million in emergency relief for families trapped or left homeless by Typhoon Bopha in the Philippines.
His comments follow today’s announcement by Foreign Minister Bob Carr that Australia will provide the funds for survival kits and 1,000 tonnes of emergency food aid.
Mr Husic said the typhoon had created a humanitarian crisis and is happy that Australia is in a position to answer the call for help from the Philippines Government.
“Through the Red Cross and international relief agencies Australia’s contribution of basic equipment and food will be distributed in Mindanao,” Mr Husic said.
“I know that Australians who have family in the Philippines will be thankful for this assistance and will themselves be exploring ways they can contribute.”
Typhoon Bopha first made landfall in Mindanao at 4.45am, Tuesday December 4 with torrential rains and winds exceeding 250 kilometres an hour.
Australia is the WFP’s fifth largest national donor. Last year, Australia’s support assisted the WFP to provide food assistance to more than 90 million people in 75 countries.