NEWTOWN, Connecticut, Dec 15, 2012 (AFP) – Most of the 26 people gunned down at a Connecticut elementary school received multiple gunshot wounds from a assault rifle, the Connecticut chief medical examiner said Saturday.
“All of the wounds I know of at this point were caused by the long weapon,” H. Wayne Carver said, referring to a military-style Bushmaster .223 semi-automatic rifle found at the scene.
Friday’s massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School was said to be perpetrated by Adam Lanza, 20, who took his own life at the scene.
News reports said Lanza had shot his mother Nancy in the face before heading to the school, armed with at least two semi-automatic pistols and a military grade rifle.
Carver said that all seven of the bodies he personally examined were those of first graders and each were shot three to 11 times. First grade in US schools holds mainly six- and seven-year-old children.
“They’re first graders wearing cute kids stuff,” he told reporters.
Asked whether he had been emotionally troubled by the horrific nature of the killings and their very young victims, Carver, a three-decade veteran in examining bodies, said “not yet.”
Post-mortem examinations of the children were performed earlier Saturday and Carver said he expected his team would finish examining the assailant and his mother in the evening.
As he spoke, Newtown police identified the victims and the bodies were removed from the school.